1.08.2014

Christmas in the Northwest

Justin and I don't really believe in the whole "New Years Resolution" bit, but as a couple we've made it a goal to be better at documenting our lives.  You see, we both love looking at pictures of our parents when they were first married and what their lives were like.  In a way it helps us get to know them better.  To know someone better you must understand where they have come from and where they are going.  We want to afford our future children the same privilege... hence theblackners.blogspot was born.  As we are new to this whole "blogging" thing, bear with us as I'm sure it will evolve.  

This last year we moved to Logan, Utah so that Justin could attend Utah State University.  As December approached I was getting more and more homesick with the anticipation of going home and getting to see my family.  


The trip started out with a bang! Justin is part of the Air Force Reserve and as such has the privilege to fly on a C-17 that makes its rounds from SLC to Spokane to JBLM (Joint Base Lewis McChord).  He also is allowed to bring as many bags as he wants free of charge.  Being the clever people we are, he takes all of my luggage as well as his so that we don't have to pay to check my bags. Justin dropped me off where us normal folks normally board planes, and he went over to board his Military Flight only to find out that his flight had been cancelled with no notice.  So I'm sitting at my gate waiting to board my plane when I get the phone call that sends me into an emotional freak out.  My thoughts going from 'Can we afford to buy ANOTHER plane ticket' to 'I'm going to spend Christmas without my husband'.  Both of which are not ideal.  So here I am boarding my plane to Washington without knowing if I am going to spend Christmas without Justin, and worse with no clothes! I know... a bit melodramatic.  He ended up getting a stand-by ticket from Southwest, the only airline even willing to sell him a stand-by ticket, and waiting at the airport all night with no luck.  Southwest was also kind enough to let  Justin send all of our luggage on a flight to Seatac without us being on the flight.  After all flights have gone out without him, he went back to the Southwest ticket counter and spoke to the nice man that sold him the stand-by ticket.  This wonderful man was able to get Justin a protected ticket to Oakland that night and Seatac the following morning.  After 3 trips to the airport, my little family was together in Seattle.. and with my clothes.


Here's a few photos of our Christmas in Northwest...  










 photo katiesig_zpsd27858c5.png

No comments:

Post a Comment